Compostable Cutlery Provides Offices A Sustainable Breakroom Option
Vegware, a biodegradable cutlery and tableware manufacturer, has selected Innovia Films’ biodegradable and compostable material for sleeves surrounding its natural starch cutlery sets. Vegware products are all fully biodegradable; can be composted with food waste, and are molded from corn and potato starch.
The Innovia NatureFlex NE30 is a natural wood product that breaks down at the end of its lifecycle in home or industrial compost bins in a matter of weeks, says the company. It is also said to offer inherent advantages for packing such as deadfold and anti-static properties, high gloss and transparency, resistance to grease and oil, a good barrier to gases and aromas and a wide heat-seal range.
NatureFlex films are certified to meet both the European EN13432 and American ASTM D6400 standards for compostable packaging. The wood pulp is sourced from managed plantations that are operating under Good Forestry principals (FSC or equivalent). These films typically have a renewable bio-based content of 95 percent by weight of material, says the company.
Compostable tableware manufacturers are also developing processes to reduce their waste.
As an example, StalkMarket Products has announced a full compostable cutlery line using waste from its hot cup lid manufacturing process. The Jaya Ingeo cutlery is manufactured from waste material from the company’s first certified compostable hot cup lid system using Ingeo plant-based plastics from NatureWorks LLC.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight