Shipping Industry Fears EU Emissions Caps
With the failure so far of global climate talks to set emissions caps on the shipping industry, some fear that the EU will go ahead with stricter emissions standards.
The shipping industry hopes to position itself favorably ahead of any such regulations by formulating a position on curbing emissions at the upcoming meeting of the International Maritime Organisation’s (IMO) marine environment protection committee.
Shipping, which accounts for three percent of global emissions, has recently come under the critical eye of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, as well. The EPA has proposed emissions standards for ships entering certain ports of call.
Last month, France indicated it wanted a decision in Copenhagen to curb ship emissions. France did not state any targets, however.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- Johnson Controls, Hitachi Appliances Launch AC JV
- Walmart Saving Money While Driving Efficiency
- Solutions to Help Reach Building Energy Management Goals
- Advanced Fans Cut Datacenter Energy Requirements
- Renew Financial Acquires FL PACE-Lender EcoCity Partners
- Solar Canopies in Maryland, California
- Increased Demand for EVs Driving Global Battery Management System Market