Kimberley-Clark Tops EPA List of On-site Renewable Energy Users
In EPA’s latest rankings of the top-20 users of on-site renewable energy, Kimberley Clark came out on top with more than 192 million kilowatt hours, comprising about 7 percent of its total electricity needs. The paper product giant uses a biomass generator.
The next three positions on the list were occupied by cities. Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts generates 172 million kWh, for 54 percent of its needs, using biogas. San Diego produces 69 million kWh, or about 27 percent of its needs, using biogas, hydro and solar. And the San Jose/Santa Clara Water Pollution Control Plant generates 52 million kWh, or about 56 percent of its needs, using biogas.
Coming in at No. 5 is Cal Portland, an industrial products company in Glendora, Calif., that generates 50 million kWh, or 11 percent of its needs, using wind.
Other private sector entities on the top-20 list are:
7. BMW Manufacturing, Greer, S.C. – generating 27 million kWh, or 19 percent of its needs, using biogas.
9. Kohl’s Department Stores – generating 19 million kWh, or 2 percent of its needs, using solar.
10. Wal-Mart Stores – generating 17 million kWh, or 1 percent of its needs, using solar at its California and Texas facilities.
12. Johnson & Johnson – generating 11 million kWh, or 1 percent of its needs, using solar and biogas.
14. Macy’s – generating 10 million kWh, or 3 percent of its needs, using solar.
17. Safeway – generating 4.5 million kWh, or less than 1 percent of its needs, using solar.
18. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. – generating 4.2 million kWh, or 38 percent of its needs, using biogas and solar.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage: It’s About the Software
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- India Launches Net-Zero Building Portal
- Companies Cooperating on Waste-to-Energy Projects
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- Xcel Asks for $90M ‘Switching Fee’ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform