New Group Aims to Cover All Recycling Interests
The Recycling Organizations of North America (RONA), a new group, plans to provide a larger umbrella to the recycling industry than that offered by the National Recycling Coalition or Keep America Beautiful.
RONA, which only recently filed articles of incorporation in Colorado, is trying to position itself as an inclusive group that will encompass Canada, as well as the United States.
The rise of RONA comes against the backdrop of infighting between members of the National Recycling Coalition (NRC) and Keep America Beautiful (KAB). In May, NRC accepted a $200,000 operating loan and payoff of $500,000 in debt from KAB in exchange for the rights to America Recycles Day and the right to use all NRC trademarks.
The move essentially amounts to a takeover of NRC by KAB, reports Recycling Today. The deal still must be ratified by the NRC membership Aug. 10-26. The NRC is taking feedback from members at this blog site.
Painting the potential merger of NRC and KAB as a takeover doesn’t make sense, said Robert Wallace, Vice President of Communications for Keep America Beautiful.
“It is our belief that should the RONA organization come to fruition, we would be allies, not adversaries,” Wallace said. “NRC members could certainly be aligned with both organizations if they choose.”
So far, five state recycling organizations have endorsed the merger, Wallace said. According to a press release, the five groups are:
- Arizona Recycling Coalition (AzRC)
- Georgia Recycling Coalition (GRC)
- Indiana Recycling Coalition (IRC)
- Professional Recyclers of Pennsylvania (PROP)
- State of Texas Alliance for Recycling (STAR)
In early August RONA will begin its first official membership drive.
Organizers of RONA are working closely with members of Save the NRC, according to a press release. RONA said it hopes that recycling professionals consider it to be a better option than membership in Keep America Beautiful.
Energy Manager News
- The hunt for reforming energy markets
- New Hampshire Shopping Site Offers Over 70 Competitive Retail Plans
- KCC Slashes Westar Transmission Delivery Fee
- Reach Out to Finance Execs With Data They Understand
- Energy Trust of Oregon Exceeded 2015 Goals
- Mercy Housing, Promise Energy Teaming Up
- 30 Environmental Advocacy Groups Call on NARUC for Holistic Rate-Setting Guidelines
- New York State’s Summer of Energy