New Group Aims to Cover All Recycling Interests
The Recycling Organizations of North America (RONA), a new group, plans to provide a larger umbrella to the recycling industry than that offered by the National Recycling Coalition or Keep America Beautiful.
RONA, which only recently filed articles of incorporation in Colorado, is trying to position itself as an inclusive group that will encompass Canada, as well as the United States.
The rise of RONA comes against the backdrop of infighting between members of the National Recycling Coalition (NRC) and Keep America Beautiful (KAB). In May, NRC accepted a $200,000 operating loan and payoff of $500,000 in debt from KAB in exchange for the rights to America Recycles Day and the right to use all NRC trademarks.
The move essentially amounts to a takeover of NRC by KAB, reports Recycling Today. The deal still must be ratified by the NRC membership Aug. 10-26. The NRC is taking feedback from members at this blog site.
Painting the potential merger of NRC and KAB as a takeover doesn’t make sense, said Robert Wallace, Vice President of Communications for Keep America Beautiful.
“It is our belief that should the RONA organization come to fruition, we would be allies, not adversaries,” Wallace said. “NRC members could certainly be aligned with both organizations if they choose.”
So far, five state recycling organizations have endorsed the merger, Wallace said. According to a press release, the five groups are:
- Arizona Recycling Coalition (AzRC)
- Georgia Recycling Coalition (GRC)
- Indiana Recycling Coalition (IRC)
- Professional Recyclers of Pennsylvania (PROP)
- State of Texas Alliance for Recycling (STAR)
In early August RONA will begin its first official membership drive.
Organizers of RONA are working closely with members of Save the NRC, according to a press release. RONA said it hopes that recycling professionals consider it to be a better option than membership in Keep America Beautiful.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management