AT&T Optimizes Operations Via Efficiency
AT&T continues to improve technical efficiency as a means toward reducing its environmental impact, according to its 2008 CSR report.
Above is a look at AT&T’s data center initiatives.
Over the past year, AT&T has:
- recorded a 43 percent increase in accessories and batteries reused or recycled from 2007 to 2008, resulting in 1.3 million pounds diverted from the landfill.
- added a 1 megawatt solar system to its San Ramon, Calif., facility.
- prevented 75 million pounds of scrap materials from landfills.
- reduced cell site electricity consumption 289 million kilowatt hours, saving more than 200,000 tons of CO2 emissions, by reducing the amount of dual networks.
- identified up to 188 central office switches for consolidation, due to low utilization. This has the potential to save up to 49 million kWh annually.
- introduced economizers at sites to circulate ambient air and reduce energy costs.
AT&T’s 2009 goals include:
- have all suppliers read AT&T’s Citizenship & Sustainability Principles of Conduct for Suppliers by the end of the year.
- reduce electricity consumption, relative to data growth on the network, by 15 percent over 2008.
- by 2019, replace about 8,000 gasoline-powered service vehicles with alternative fuel models, as well as 7,000 passenger cars.
- swap out cell tower light controllers and incandescent bulbs at nearly 3,500 sites. The replacement LEDs can operate maintenance-free for 10 years and use 10 percent of the energy of incandescents.
The report did not detail AT&T’s emissions for 2008.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Chicago Archdiocese to Energy Benchmark 2,700 Buildings
- IBM Tests Heat-Pump Cooling of Data Centers
- Bosch, Toyota Join CalCharge Energy Storage Effort
- CHP Projects Increase in the UK
- Building Retrofitted with Air-Duct Delivery System for Roof-top Units
- Refurbished Air Coils Save Energy for Four Seasons Hotel
- Trane Expands Series of Cold Generator Scroll Chillers
- Cooling System Eliminates Chemicals by ‘Pulsing’ the Water