American Airlines Recycling Wine Corks
At its numerous Admirals Club locations, American Airlines will begin recycling wine corks to prevent them from ending up in landfills.
ReCork says that 13 billion natural cork wine closures are sold each year, the vast majority ending up in landfills.
The cork recycling program will divert the corks to manufacture of footwear and flooring.
Some wineries are taking steps to ensure that their cork is harvested sustainably. For instance, Willamette Valley Vineyards uses cork stoppers harvested from responsibly managed forestlands certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend