NYC Tests Hybrid Garbage Trucks, EVs
The New York City Sanitation Department will add several hybrid electric diesel collection trucks to its fleet. New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg announced the additions as part of his PlaNYC to reduce the cityâ€™s overall carbon emissionsÂ in the next two decades.
Three new hybrid refuse collection trucks will soon be picking up residential garbage in the city, and a hybrid rack truck, designed for heavy duty snow removal, will see its debut this winter. The vehicles are intended to decrease overall truck emissions, fuel consumption, and noise as they hit the streets to aid in collecting the more than 11,000 tons of garbage and recycling gathered in NYC every day.
One of the collection trucks is a Mack TerraPro Low Entry model and the other two are from the Crane Carrier Corporation.Â The rack truck is a Kenworth T370 diesel-electric hybrid truck.
The Mayor announcedÂ two other developments this week in his cityâ€™s effort to use alternative fuel vehicles: the New York City Street Conditions Observation Unit (SCOUT) plans to field test ten all-electric MINI E vehicles, and Bloombergâ€™s administration is launching a formal study of the electric vehicle market in New York City.
The MINI E vehicles are on loan from BMW group, andÂ the SCOUT Inspectors will provide feedback to BMW regarding the efficiency of the cars. Some 450 MINI E vehicles, which travel about 100 miles on a single charge, are currently part of a year-long field study across the U.S.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest â€˜Smart Buildingâ€™ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight