Feds Add $300M to Boost Commercial Trucking Sector
The nation’s supply chain is getting an energy-efficient shot in the arm that will make transporting goods more cost-effective, energy efficient and environmentally friendly. A series of cost-sharing grants from the Department of Energy, totaling $300 million, should help 25 separate projects add more than 9,000 alternative fuel and energy efficient vehicles.
The grants also will help kick-start an infrastructure for refueling stations, adding 542 such locations for dispensing alternative fuels across the nation, according to a press release.
Every federal dollar will be matched by almost $2 in funds from project partners.
Among the grants, part of the Clean Cities program, a plethora of corporate delivery fleets are expected to benefit.
For instance, in North-Central Texas, which includes the Dallas area, delivery fleets for Coca-Cola, Sysco and Frito-Lay should benefit from the $13 million going to the areas.
In southern California, J.B. Hunt will be able to deploy 262 liquid natural gas trucks.
Another grant, in Chicago, will add 554 alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles, and create a network of 153 recharging/refueling stations throughout the metro.
A major aim of the program is to add alternative fuel stations along major commercial transportation corridors, including I-70 and I-35.
For a complete list of award winners, click here.
In all, the grants are expected to help reduce the annual use of petroleum by 38 million gallons.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight