FreshDirect, Draper Valley Farms Adopt Recyclable Packaging
Two farm fresh brands and one chocolate maker are adopting sustainable packaging for their products. FreshDirect is moving to an environmentally friendly package that reduces breakage; Draper Valley Farms is eliminating the use of cardboard in shipping fresh poultry, and Vanishing Creatures Chocolates is packaging its candy in recycled plastic and bamboo boxes.
FreshDirect has switched its egg packaging from a bed of soft foam to a corrugated mesh comprised of 100 percent recycled and recyclable material, reports Supermarket News. The company ships about 12,000 cartons per week.
Draper Valley Farms, a sustainably farmed all-natural chicken company, has eliminated the use of cardboard in shipping fresh poultry to PCC Natural Markets’ nine locations. Instead of using cardboard boxes that are discarded after each shipment, Draper Valley Farms now uses rigid plastic “nesters,” or stackable trays that are recyclable and reusable.
Draper Valley Farms claims to be the first all-natural poultry company to adopt a no cardboard supply chain by using reusable shipping trays. The company plans to roll-out the cardboard-free packaging to additional customers.
Two other farms also recently added sustainable packaging to their line-ups. Earthbound Farms is now using PCR-PET exclusively on its clamshell salads, and Petaluma Poultry is coming out with new tray-less packaging for two of its all-natural chicken products.
Goodies are also getting eco-friendly packaging. As an example, Vanishing Creatures Chocolates is packaging its hand-carved organic, fair-trade chocolates in recycled plastic and bamboo boxes that virtually leave no waste, reports Treehugger.com. Aiming to draw attention to the plight of endangered species, the chocolates are hand-carved to resemble five endangered species.
Once the chocolates are eaten, the recycled plastic and bamboo boxes transform into soy-candle holders, while the bamboo and recycled-cardboard containers turn into a bird feeder, according to the article.
Energy Manager News
- Driving Energy Efficiency by Improving the Owner/Tenant Relationship
- Case Study: Fast Payback in New York City
- $8M Project to Upgrade Chillicothe (OH) Correctional Institute
- Three Trends Align to Save Buildings Millions in Energy Costs
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency