Remanufacturing Medical Devices Saves Hospitals $82M
Reprocessing and remanufacturing programs from Ascent Healthcare Solutions has saved its hospital partners more than $82 million in supply chain costs during the first half of 2009. The provider of healthcare resource sustainability services said this represents a 25 percent increase in savings over the first six months in 2008. In other news, healthcare providers are also seeking sustainability best practices through Practice Greenhealth.
In addition to cost savings, the reprocessing and remanufacturing programs have enabled hospitals to divert more than 2.5 million pounds (1,296 tons) of waste from local landfills during the first half of 2009, according to Ascent Healthcare.
Ascent’s program incorporates an environmentally conscious approach to handling and disposing of devices that cannot be reprocessed or remanufactured by reducing the devices to their component parts and properly recycling the materials, said the company.
Other hospitals and healthcare facilities are joining the Practice Greenhealth organization to help them implement and expand their eco-friendly and sustainable practices. As an example, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), which is comprised of 163 hospitals and 112 outpatient centers in 20 states and England, has joined Practice Greenhealth to help the organization become a leader in environmental practices among healthcare companies, according to HCA.
Each HCA hospital will appoint a sustainability coordinator to lead their sustainability efforts. As members of Practice Greenhealth, each HCA hospital will have access to its tools, resources and expertise.
With the addition of HCA, Practice Greenhealth membership now exceeds 1,000 organizations. Members include individual hospitals, healthcare systems, businesses in the healthcare community and other stakeholders engaged in the greening of healthcare.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment