AT&T Top ‘Green’ Mobile Carrier in North America
A new scorecard puts AT&T, Sprint/Nextel and Verizon as the No. 1, 2 and 3 mobile carriers in North America, when judged by their environmental attributes.
The Green Carrier Matrix (registration required) from ABI Research ranks companies based on the environmental impact of their network infrastructure, green network equipment, green handsets and handset recycling.
AT&T was noted for its innovation in green efforts, while Sprint/Nextel was noted for its implementation of green efforts.
One aspect of the matrix revolves around innovation. The matrix judged firms by their innovative applications or uses of technology for green networks, as well as the direct or indirect impact on green innovations for the supplier value chain. Metrics used by mobile carriers with regard to measuring their carbon and energy reduction were used, as well as smart grid advances and R&D efforts, according to a press release.
The matrix also judged firms on their implementation of “green” business practices and products. This part of the matrix looked at the following: green mobile network infrastructure; green buildings and facilities; green IT; handset/battery/accessory recycling; the operators’ teleworking and teleconferencing initiatives; the greenness of their transport fleets and logistics; their green handset, content and user-awareness strategies, and green packaging.
Here are the top 10:
- AT&T Wireless
- Sprint Nextel Corporation
- Verizon Wireless: USA
- T-Mobile: USA
- Rogers Wireless
- Bell Mobility: Canada
- Leap Wireless
- US Cellular
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management