San Fran Fliers Can Offset Emissions at Climate Passport Kiosks
New kiosks at San Francisco International Airport will allow fliers to offset the carbon footprint of their flights. Three credit-card operated kiosks will be placed throughout the terminals, reports SFGate.com.
The Climate Passport kiosks were developed by the airport and 3Degrees. The whole program cost the airport $190,000 to implement.
The kiosks feature the marketing slogan: “”Keep our skies blue. Purchase your air travel carbon offset here.”
Costs of the offsets vary by destination. For instance, a round-trip flight between San Francisco and Vancouver would produce 1,186 pounds of carbon dioxide, which could be offset with a contribution of $7.26.
Meanwhile, a one-way flight from San Francisco to Boston would generate 1,999 pounds of carbon dioxide, which could be offset for $12.24, SFGate reports.
The cost of the offsets are based on a model from the U.N.’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, reports the San Jose Mercury News.
Funds from the kiosks will go toward the Garcia River Forest, a reforestation project in Mendocino County, as well as the SFCarbon Fund, which is redirecting funds to Dogpatch Biofuels, a bio-diesel fueling station in the Bay area.
This is not the only program targeting eco-conscious travelers at the San Francisco airport. There also is a green car rental program in which flyers can get a $15 discount toward rental of a hybrid.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland