Zero-emissions Locomotive Unveiled
A battery-operated locomotive promises to unleash no emissions during its operation, aside from emissions associated with charging its massive batteries.
The NS 999 locomotive also uses its brakes for regenerative electricity. That element of the locomotive was developed by Brookville Equipment Co.
The introduction of an emissions-free switching locomotive can help urban railyards keep pollution in check. A planned intermodal facility in the Kansas City area has come under heavy criticism because of emissions that would be produced there.
Norfolk Southern cooperated with the U.S. Department of Energy, the Federal Railroad Administration and Penn State in developing the prototype, which benefited from a $1.3 million federal grant, according to a press release.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management