Asda Adopting Own Version Wal-Mart’s Packaging Scorecard
Asda, the UK subsidiary of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., next year will introduce a packaging scorecard similar to what Wal-Mart has been using.
The goal is to have suppliers reduce packaging and increase recycling.
Asda has put together a “sustainable value network” of manufacturers and packaging firms to develop criteria for the scorecard, Claire Costello of Asda told Just-Food, via Australia Food News.
Because Asda can only directly influence about 8 percent of the carbon footprint associated with its operations, including the supply chain, the company felt it prudent to involve suppliers in the process, Costello said.
In addition to the U.S., Wal-Mart is using its scorecard for operations in Canada and Mexico.
In other news, Asda plans to improve consumer loyalty by giving them more of a say in how stores are run. About 18,000 consumers are being given the opportunity to test products before they are officially introduced, to gain their input on product development and packaging, reports the Wall Street Journal.
Additionally, the retailer has started putting webcams in the factories of suppliers, in a bid to improve transparency, reports the Telegraph. Webcams are installed in a carrot processing facility and a dairy processing plant. One pundit called the webcams “more boring than www.paintdrying.com.”
Also in the interest of transparency, next year the supermarket will build a store with glass walls that allows shoppers to see into the stockroom and employee rest areas.
Energy Manager News
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: July 22, 2016
- In Washington State, a New Rate Is Approved for Cryptocurrency Server Farms
- El Paso Electric Files Unopposed Settlement in Texas Rate Case
- PACE Financing Makes Progress but Still Encounters Opposition
- Grand View: Datacenter Cooling Market Worth $17.78B by 2024
- Idaho Opens First Solar Farm
- What You Need To Know About Green Insulation: Green Seal’s New Standard
- Obama Administration to Provide Up to $4.5 billion in Loan Guarantees for Electric Charging Stations