Asda Adopting Own Version Wal-Mart’s Packaging Scorecard
Asda, the UK subsidiary of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., next year will introduce a packaging scorecard similar to what Wal-Mart has been using.
The goal is to have suppliers reduce packaging and increase recycling.
Asda has put together a “sustainable value network” of manufacturers and packaging firms to develop criteria for the scorecard, Claire Costello of Asda told Just-Food, via Australia Food News.
Because Asda can only directly influence about 8 percent of the carbon footprint associated with its operations, including the supply chain, the company felt it prudent to involve suppliers in the process, Costello said.
In addition to the U.S., Wal-Mart is using its scorecard for operations in Canada and Mexico.
In other news, Asda plans to improve consumer loyalty by giving them more of a say in how stores are run. About 18,000 consumers are being given the opportunity to test products before they are officially introduced, to gain their input on product development and packaging, reports the Wall Street Journal.
Additionally, the retailer has started putting webcams in the factories of suppliers, in a bid to improve transparency, reports the Telegraph. Webcams are installed in a carrot processing facility and a dairy processing plant. One pundit called the webcams “more boring than www.paintdrying.com.”
Also in the interest of transparency, next year the supermarket will build a store with glass walls that allows shoppers to see into the stockroom and employee rest areas.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses