Just 8% of Mobile Phones Recycled or Refurbished
When their useful lifespan is over, just over 6 percent of mobile handsets are refurbished, and about 2 percent are ethically disposed of. But those numbers are predicted to rise over the next five years, according to a study on Green Mobile Phones from ABI Research.
By 2014, ABI projects that nearly 14 percent of handsets will be refurbished and about 4 percent will be ethically disposed of.
ABI suggests that refurbishment is the most ecologically sound way of handset disposal, since the device continues to be used and does not go into a landfill.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend