Sprint to Save $2.1M With Eco-Friendly Packaging
By redesigning packaging for its phone accessories, Sprint expects to save $2.1 million annually in packaging costs.
This represents a 35 percent reduction in packaging costs, according to a press release, and a corresponding reduction in 647 tons of waste annually.
The new packaging — which is made of recyclable PET 1, replacing PVC — is 20-40 percent smaller than the packaging it replaces.
Ink on the packaging is now soy-based, instead of petroleum-based.
Paperboard used in the packaging is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
For items purchased online, Sprint will ship to consumers using a new packaging air pillow that contains less resin and is biodegradable.
The new packaging will be used on the following items:
- Samsung Instinct HD Protective Carry Wallet
- Blackberry Tour Holster
- Motorola i856 Holster
- Jabra C150 Behind The Ear Wired Headset
- HTC Hero Silicone Gels
- Samsung Reclaim Clear Ice Phone Cover
- Samsung Instinct HD Gels
- Samsung Intrepid i350 Silicone Gels
- Micro-USB Vehicle Power Charger
- Palm Micro- USB VPA
- Mini USB VPA -Rim 7250/7520/7100i/Ppc6700
- Samsung VPA – M300.M510
The Green Carrier Matrix from ABI Research recently ranked Sprint/Nextel No. 2 among mobile phone companies based on the environmental impact of its network infrastructure, green network equipment, green handsets and handset recycling. AT&T was ranked No. 1.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight