LG, Waste Management to Recycle Hotel TVs, Computer Monitors
A new program gives hotels an option for recycling their aging television sets and computer monitors. LG Electronics USA Inc. and Waste Management Inc. are partnering to offer the service.
The two will offer recycling of old equipment, as well as packaging from new LG flat-panel TVs and computer monitors that are installed on site.
The new service comes as more and more states are adding laws that require electronics manufactures to pay for e-waste recycling.
Noting that most voluntary and state-mandated efforts across the country have been focused on consumer recycling efforts, Jason Linnell, Executive Director of the National Center for Electronics Recycling, called the new partnership “significant,” considering the millions of analog TVs being replaced in hotel rooms nationwide.
What to do with e-waste is a hotly contested subject. The Consumer Electronic Association and the Information Technology Industry Council months ago filed a lawsuit against a New York City e-recycling law (PDF), calling it unconstitutional. The law mandates that manufacturers provide free, door-to-door electronics collection to city residents.
Just last week, a number of state and local government representatives signed a letter accusing the electronics industry of trying to usurp state rights.
In late September, the “Electronic Device Recycling and Research and Development Act,” which also would address the use of hazardous materials in the production of electronics, was introduced by Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.).
Energy Manager News
- IRS to Buildings Owners: “We’re From the Government and We’re Here to Help”
- CT Hospital, Soltage, Tenaska Unveil Solar Plant
- FAA Pays to Upgrade Airport Hangar Heating
- Maryland Electric Coops Mount FERC Challenge to Community Solar Garden Retail Prices
- SEIA Releases Updated Version of ‘Guide to Federal Tax Incentives’
- Energy Efficiency and Waste Disposal Grow Closer
- Worcester School Gets Grant to Complete LED Retrofit
- Cree Recalls Lamps