Owens Corning Plant Saves $252K Annually in Energy Costs
By implementing several energy-savings projects recommended by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Save Energy Now assessment, Owens Corning’s plant in Santa Clara, Calif., is achieving an annual energy cost savings of $252,000, reports Reliable Plant.
With $251,000 in incentives from Silicon Valley Power (SVP), implementation costs totaled $325,000, resulting in a 1.3-year payback period, according to the article.
The DOE assessment identified several systems — the pumping system, fan systems, and compressed air systems — for reducing energy use. Some of the energy-saving measures implemented included retrofitting inefficient pumps, replacing valves and installing variable speed drives (VSDs) on the pumps; installing variable frequency drives (VFDs) on the fans and replacing a large compressor, reports Reliable Plant.
The installation of VFDs on the two dust collection fans was estimated to save 361,000 kWh annually, and a VFD on a large oven fan will save an estimated 398,000 kWh per year, according to the article. Installation of a VFD on a large forming fan, under consideration, is expected to save up to 3.2 million kWh per year.
In 2008, Owens Corning reduced its energy consumption by 11 percent from 10.6 million MWh in 2007 to 9.4 million MWh by implementing low or no cost energy reduction solutions, according to its latest sustainability report. Most of the solutions were identified through energy assessments.
Energy Manager News
- PACE Financing Makes Progress but Still Encounters Opposition
- Grand View: Datacenter Cooling Market Worth $17.78B by 2024
- Idaho Opens First Solar Farm
- What You Need To Know About Green Insulation: Green Seal’s New Standard
- Obama Administration to Provide Up to $4.5 billion in Loan Guarantees for Electric Charging Stations
- Minnesota PUC Approves New Rate Structure, Size Cap for Solar Gardens
- Maine PUC Endorses Natural Gas Pipeline Expansion at Expense of Ratepayers
- Geothermal Heating and Cooling is Worth Another Look