AT&T, 3M, Intel, 29 Others Pledge 25% Reduction in Energy Intensity
The new Save Energy Now Leader Program has garnered commitments from 32 major industrial firms to voluntarily reduce their industrial energy efficiency 25 percent over the coming decade.
Companies such as 3M, AT&T, Dow, Intel and Owens Corning are participating in the new program from the Department of Energy, which was launched Dec. 2 by Energy Secretary Steven Chu. The Leader aspect of the program adds to the existing Save Energy Now program.
The U.S. industrial sector accounts for about 30 percent of the energy used in the U.S., and about 27 percent of the nation’s emissions.
More than $250 million in stimulus funds have been put into efficiency improvements in the industrial and IT sectors.
The Save Energy Now program has helped companies identify $1.3 billion in cost savings as a result of 2,000 plant energy assessments starting in 2006. The assessments identified 119 trillion Btu of natural gas savings and 11.2 million metric tons of CO2 emissions savings.
Here is the complete list of 32 Save Energy Now Leaders.
– 3M (St. Paul, MN)
– AT&T (Dallas, TX)
– BPM, Inc. (Peshtigo, WI)
– Bridgestone (McMinnville, TN)
– Briggs & Stratton (Wauwatosa, WI)
– Cummins, Inc. (Columbus, IN)
– Danfoss (Baltimore, MD)
– Didion Milling (Johnson Creek, WI)
– The Dow Chemical Company (Midland, MI)
– Flambeau River Papers (Park Falls, WI)
– Honeywell (Morristown, NJ)
– Ingersoll Rand/Trane (Piscataway, NJ)
– Intel (Santa Clara, CA)
– JR Simplot (Boise, ID)
– Manitowoc Grey Iron Foundry (Manitowoc, WI)
– Mohawk Industries (Dalton, GA)
– Neenah Foundry (Neenah, WI)
– Nissan North America (Smyrna, TN)
– Osram Sylvania (Danvers, MA)
– Owens Corning (Toledo, OH)
– PPG Industries (Pittsburgh, PA)
– Quad/Graphics, Inc. (Sussex, WI)
– Schneider Electric (Palatine, IL)
– Serious Materials (Sunnyvale, CA)
– Shaw Industries (Dalton, GA)
– Sherwin-Williams, Richmond (Richmond, KY)
– Spirax Sarco, Inc. (Blythewood, SC)
– Thilmany Papers (Kaukauna, WI)
– ThyssenKrupp Waupaca (Waupaca, WI)
– United Technologies Corp. (Hartford, CT)
– Verso Paper (Memphis, TN)
– Volvo Trucks, Inc. (Dublin, VA)
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Less Time Delay with LEDs Promises More Savings
- 5 Steps for Guaranteeing the Best Lighting Upgrade in Industrial Facilities
- Energy Awards Offers 7 Entry Tips from Judges
- Wind Powers 35% of Washington DC Government
- Walmart, Others Seek to Back Out of Florida Energy-Efficiency Program
- Energy Intelligence on a Smart Watch’s Small Screen
- Optimizing Set Points, Equipment Controls Saves 6% in Energy
- McKinstry Wins $5.8M ESPC with Texas County