Sodexo Targets 14 Areas for Supply Chain Sustainability
Building on environmental projects at customer locations over the past year that have yielded water and energy savings, Sodexo Inc. has unveiled the company’s “The Better Tomorrow Plan” initiative aimed at improving its customers’ environment, health and wellness and communities.
At the heart of the initiative are 14 commitments that will be implemented across its operations with metrics to track the company’s progress.
In the area of nutrition/health & wellness, the integrated food and facilities management services company targets the following goals:
1. Develop health and wellness solutions for clients, consumers and employees by 2015.
2. Provide varied and balanced food options at all clients’ sites by 2012.
3. Provide more choices with a reduced intake of sugar, salt and fats at all clients’ sites by 2015.
In the area of local communities, the company plans to:
4. Fight hunger and malnutrition through the STOP Hunger program in all the countries where the company operates by 2020.
5. Support local community development in all the countries where the company operates by 2015.
6. Buy more products sourced from fairly traded certified sources by 2015.
In the area of the environment (including sustainable supplies, energy & emissions, water & effluents, and materials & waste) in all countries where Sodexo operates, the company aims to:
7. Ensure compliance with a Global Sustainable Supply Chain Code of Conduct by 2015.
8. Source local, seasonal or sustainably grown or raised products by 2015.
9. Source sustainable fish and seafood by 2015.
10. Source sustainable equipment and supplies by 2020.
11 & 12. Reduce both the carbon and water footprint in all the countries where the company operates and at clients’ sites by 2020.
13 &14: Reduce organic and non-organic waste in all the countries where the company operates and at clients’ sites by 2015.
Measurement tools and practices along with establishing a baseline inventory and phasing by country are currently under development. The company plans to set progress milestones for 2012, 2015 and 2020.
Energy Manager News
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along
- Maine Businesses Shut Out of Power Program
- Stay Cool This Summer While Avoiding These Common Summer Pitfalls
- Coalition Seeks to Stop SCE&G’s Blank Check
- NARUC Releases DER Draft Rate Design Manual
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Pushing Sustainability, Efficiency with Green Leases
- The Tricky World of Portable Commercial Air Conditioners