LoyaltyOne Unveils 165 KW Solar Array – Largest in Canada
LoyaltyOne is about ready to flip the switch on its new 165 kilowatt solar photovoltaic rooftop array. The Mississauga, Ontario-based company says it is the largest such solar array in Canada to date.
LoyaltyOne, which oversees the Air Rewards incentive program, says the array should be fully functional in late December.
The array, which comprises 800 panels on its building rooftop and carport, generates enough power to run about 16 Ontario homes, according to a press release.
The array is tied to the grid, and LoyaltyOne says it expects the array to generate about enough power to run its facilities.
The solar inverters inside the facility will be integrated into an educational feature for staff and visitors.
The company also has applied for LEED status for the building, which houses 300 workers.
Other highlights of the building include:
- Solar tubes that allow natural light to flow into the center of the space
- Low-emission materials used in construction
- Recycled content in materials used in construction
- Waste management practices used onsite
- Zero-waste strategies
- Hot water heated by solar energy
- Low-flow showers and energy-efficient dishwashers
- Preferential parking spaces close to the main door for fuel-efficient cars
LoyaltyOne’s Air Miles Reward Program introduced the My Planet initiative earlier this year that will help its more than 9.5-million active members make more environmentally sustainable choices in their everyday lives through green rewards, information and an online community.
Prior to Loyalty One’s solar array, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. operated the largest solar array in Canada.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses