Verizon Ops Center Gets LEED, Energy Star Status
Verizon’s 1.4 million square-foot operations center in Basking Ridge, N.J., has earned the LEED Silver designation, as well as Energy Star status.
The building, which houses 3,000 employees and most of its critical business operations, relies on temperature sensors and energy management systems to keep heating, ventilation and cooling costs in check, according to a press release.
By carefully controlling the overall lighting schedule and using LED and fluorescent T-5 lighting, Verizon saves on electricity costs.
The HVAC system has air handlers with variable frequency drives, so that fans aren’t running at 100 percent speed all of the time.
This is Verizon’s 46th Energy Star rated facility, according to the release.
By applying energy-efficiency measures in its buildings, Verizon has reduced its energy usage by 16.5 million kilowatts, according to its most recent sustainability report.
Verizon’s call-switching center and office building in Garden City, N.Y., uses seven fuel cells, each of which is able to generate 200 kWh of electricity.
Verizon is saving energy and resources in areas other than its buildings, too.
Verizon doubled the number of hybrid sedans in its company fleet to 200, and reduced its fleet’s fuel consumption by 1 million gallons in 2008 by cutting vehicle idling.
Last year, Verizon moved more than 3 million customers to paperless billing and saved $8 million in paper and administrative costs. It also saved another $2.7 million by moving its payroll, training and HR systems online.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment