CNG Gets a Boost at Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas Airports
Airport shuttles, taxis, limos and other fleet operators will benefit from new public-access compressed natural gas fueling stations at the Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston and Las Vegas airports.
Because CNG vehicles produce fewer emissions, the move should help ease emissions concentrations around the airports.
CNG produces about 30 percent less emissions in light-duty vehicles and 23 percent less emissions in medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, said James Harger, Chief Marketing Officer and Senior Vice President, Clean Energy, in a press release.
Clean Energy was awarded the contracts to install the CNG stations at the three airports.
At Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston, the CNG stations will be at sites adjacent to and owned by The Parking Spot.
The Parking Spot has began replacing diesel and gasoline-powered shuttles with CNG models, said Kevin Shrier, The Parking Spot Senior Vice President – Acquisitions & Operations.
In Las Vegas, Whittlesea Bell Transportation will own the CNG stations. The company operates in the limousine, taxi and private shuttle spheres.
Oakland International Airport bought 26 CNG-powered buses in 2009, replacing older diesel-powered models.
Six of the new CNG buses were assigned to AirBART service, with the remaining 20 CNG buses in support of the airport’s rental car center shuttle service. The replacement of 26 diesel buses with natural gas buses will result in projected fuel cost savings for the airport of up to $400,000 annually.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight