Clorox Comes Clean With Chemical Content on Web Site
In a bid to improve transparency about the environmental impact about its products, Clorox has launched a new Web site that details ingredients for more than 230 cleaning, disinfecting and auto care products.
The Web site includes a glossary of terms for each ingredient.
“We’re putting a framework around corporate social sustainability, and the Web site is central to our communications efforts,” said Aileen Zerrudo, director of communications for corporate social responsibility at Clorox.
Zerrudo said Clorox started communicating about ingredients when it launched Green Works in January of 2008.
“We had always discussed internally how we could take that further. Consumers always say they want to know what’s in the products,” she said.
The new Web site, which has been in development for six months, aims to help consumers understand the function of the chemicals, she said, “Consumers are well-informed these days, and this helps them understand what a chemical might do in the product, what role it plays.”
Clorox has a set of ingredient guidelines for suppliers of fragrances, according to a press release.
Clorox requires that fragrances be free from Alkylphenol (APs) or Alkylphenol Ethoxylates (APEs), including, but not limited to, Octylphenol Ethoxylates and Nonylphenol Ethoxylates; Musk Ambrette; Musk Xylol; Polycyclic Musks; Diacetyl and Phthalates (such as DEP, BBP, DBP, DiBP, DPP, or DEHP).
Clorox has put significant R&D and marketing muscle behind its popular Green Works line.
In July, Clorox Green Works edged out other U.S. consumer brands in a consumer rating of top U.S. green brands.
In September, the brand was one of the first to carry the Green Good Housekeeping seal.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight