Nike, Starbucks Lead Push in Oregon for Clean Energy Economy
Kicking off a race to jumpstart American jobs in a clean economy, Nike, Starbucks, and other businesses, unions and youth groups in Oregon are urging Congress to approve a comprehensive climate change legislation this year, reports The Oregonian.
The group was joined by U.S. Rep. Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., at a news conference, where they announced a “Race for American Jobs” campaign to help persuade the Senate to pass climate change legislation similar to the one passed in the House in June last year, reports The Oregonian.
The group is pushing for a low-carbon economy that will create jobs, reduce the U.S. dependence on foreign oil suppliers and promote technological innovation in an economic arms race with China, reports The Oregonian.
Blumenauer and others said a national energy policy of subsidies, regulations and incentives will create thousands of jobs and pay for itself over time through reduced energy consumption and a healthier environment, reports The Oregonian.
Energy and climate legislation could create 13,000 to 26,000 new jobs in Oregon by 2020, and nationally, between 918,000 to 1.9 million jobs, according to 2009 research by the University of California, University of Illinois and Yale University, reports The Oregonian.
Sponsored by We Can Lead, additional “race” stops are planned for Denver, Colorado; Columbus, Ohio; Manchester, New Hampshire and Washington, D.C., over the next three weeks to gather signatures and support for strong climate legislation, according to a press release. Business leaders will deliver the message to Congress on March 10 and hold policy meetings with U.S. Senators and the Obama Administration.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment