Sara Lee Calls Itself Largest Global Sourcer of UTZ ‘Sustainable’ Coffee
Sara Lee says it expanded its lead as the world’s largest buyer of UTZ certified “sustainable” coffee, having exceeded its own internal target of purchasing 26,500 tons in 2009.
The 2010 target is 16 times the 2004 target of 2,500 tons.
Sara Lee is the world’s largest coffee roaster, with brands including Senseo, Marcilla, Maison du Cafe, Merrild and Douwe Egberts.
Other major food marketers are gearing up their certifiable supply chains.
Tetley recently announced its plans to sell 100 percent Rainforest-certified tea by 2016, reports Reuters.
Outside of the coffee/tea sector, ice cream maker Ben & Jerry’s says it plans to purchase only Fair Trade ingredients – when possible, by 2013, reports Supermarket News.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland