Sara Lee Calls Itself Largest Global Sourcer of UTZ ‘Sustainable’ Coffee
Sara Lee says it expanded its lead as the world’s largest buyer of UTZ certified “sustainable” coffee, having exceeded its own internal target of purchasing 26,500 tons in 2009.
The 2010 target is 16 times the 2004 target of 2,500 tons.
Sara Lee is the world’s largest coffee roaster, with brands including Senseo, Marcilla, Maison du Cafe, Merrild and Douwe Egberts.
Other major food marketers are gearing up their certifiable supply chains.
Tetley recently announced its plans to sell 100 percent Rainforest-certified tea by 2016, reports Reuters.
Outside of the coffee/tea sector, ice cream maker Ben & Jerry’s says it plans to purchase only Fair Trade ingredients – when possible, by 2013, reports Supermarket News.
Energy Manager News
- Big Island Utility Hits 5-MW Cap on Customer-Operator Rooftop Solar Credits
- Benton PUD Announces 5% Rate Hike
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Keys to Energy Efficient Air Filtration
- Tracking the Exciting World of Solar Energy Research
- Colorado Mixing Solar, Weatherization
- Lighting Sector: 4% CAGR Through 2020
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: August 19, 2016
- New Hampshire Town Resists Door-to-Door Sales