Sara Lee Calls Itself Largest Global Sourcer of UTZ ‘Sustainable’ Coffee
Sara Lee says it expanded its lead as the world’s largest buyer of UTZ certified “sustainable” coffee, having exceeded its own internal target of purchasing 26,500 tons in 2009.
The 2010 target is 16 times the 2004 target of 2,500 tons.
Sara Lee is the world’s largest coffee roaster, with brands including Senseo, Marcilla, Maison du Cafe, Merrild and Douwe Egberts.
Other major food marketers are gearing up their certifiable supply chains.
Tetley recently announced its plans to sell 100 percent Rainforest-certified tea by 2016, reports Reuters.
Outside of the coffee/tea sector, ice cream maker Ben & Jerry’s says it plans to purchase only Fair Trade ingredients – when possible, by 2013, reports Supermarket News.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Bridgewater, MA, Gets $231,000 Efficiency Grant
- Biomass Group Studies Role in Clean Power Plan
- Rockleigh Borough Installing LEDs, Low Energy AC
- PHG to Build Big Gasification Plant for Sevier Solid Waste
- Energy Profile of Commercial Buildings Changing
- Smart Meter Market Surging
- Modular Data Centers Cut Construction Costs
- Failure to Build Energy Infrastructure Could Cost New England $5.4B