P&G Expands ‘Future Friendly’ Marketing Effort
Procter & Gamble is expanding its Future Friendly marketing effort that promotes environmental responsibility under the guise of consumer education.
P&G, which owns Tide, Pampers, PUR and Duracell, among other brands, first introduced Future Friendly at the 2009 Clinton Global Initiative in September of 2009.
Now, with a full marketing launch kicking off the week of March 29, P&G hopes to reach or exceed its original pledge of providing conservation education to at least 50 million U.S. households by the end of 2010.
In addition to television advertising and an extensive social networking and consumer engagement component, more than 15,000 retail locations will participate in the initial phase of Future Friendly.
Future Friendly-labeled products will begin to hit the shelves in early April.
Tide laundry detergent provides an example of how P&G intends to market its items under the plan.
P&G says that about 80 percent of the energy consumed in a typical load of laundry comes from heating water. So, Tide will urge consumers to wash in cold water, using Tide Coldwater, of course.
Tide Coldwater products will carry the Future Friendly seal.
Television ads start March 29, and P&G’s April edition of its brandSaver newspaper supplement, will be delivered to more than 50 million households. The coupon insert will feature information about and coupons for Future Friendly products.
Also in support of the national launch of the marketing program, P&G and Ipsos Public Affairs have released findings from the “Consumer Conservation Survey.”
– About 74 percent of consumers say they would switch to another brand if it helped them conserve resources without having to pay more.
– About 37 percent say the reason they don’t lead a more environmentally-friendly lifestyle is a lack of enough information about what to do.
– About 58 percent say they would be at least very likely to change the way they perform daily chores if it helped them reduce waste, save energy and save water at home.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Renewable Energy Certificates: Bridge to a Renewable Future
- Have Federal Buildings Found All Possible Energy Efficiency?
- Plug Power Acquires Full Control of HyPulsion for $11.47M
- Trane Expands Lineup of Outdoor Air Handler Units
- Microturbine Converts Flare Gas to Useable Energy
- Light Commercial Packaged Units Earn SEER Rating of 14
- Convention Center Snags $60,000 from PECO for Energy Efficiency
- GE Reignites Energy Storage Business