Las Vegas Sands Feeling Lucky With Eco 360 Initiative
The Las Vegas Sands Corp. has unveiled Eco 360, a broad-ranging energy efficiency and environmental initiative.
Las Vegas Sands owns The Palazzo, The Venetian and the Sands Expo and Convention Center. With the recent LEED certification of the Venetian and the conference center, taken together, the properties comprise the largest contiguous LEED-certified building in the world.
The Palazzo earned LEED certification in 2008.
Las Vegas Sands says it is the only property on the Vegas strip that uses solar photovoltaic panels on top of its parking garages. These panels (see picture) generate 116kW of direct current.
Michael Leven, president and chief operating officer of Las Vegas Sands Corp., said the company saves $4 for every dollar invested in its sustainable development program.
Different aspects of the program are being implemented in U.S. properties, as well as operations in Macau and Singapore.
Leven said that all future properties will comply with Sands Eco 360 degrees principles and standards.
The program has four pillars:
– construction and development strategy
– operational and maintenance policies
– developing vendor partners that comply with the company’s green policies
– employee team members who are equally involved in the program
As a result of the programs, Las Vegas Sands expects to save enough electricity to power 6,500 average American homes a year.
Las Vegas Sands also expects to save about 100 million gallons of potable water per year and recycle 55 percent of daily trash and 75 percent of food waste. Add the recycling together and Las Vegas Sands claims it would be the largest single-property recycler in Las Vegas.
The food waste is sent to RC Pig Farms in North Las Vegas, where it is used as animal feed or compost, reports the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
A solar-thermal system provides hot water for pools, spas and other uses.
When building The Palazzo, steel with 95 percent recycled content was used, and 42,000 tons of construction waste was diverted from landfills.
Energy Manager News
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending June 26
- Final Energy Conservation Standards for Packaged Terminal Air Conditioners Mirror ASHRAE/IES Standard 90.1-2013
- Seeley International Acquires Coolerado
- Joule Assets Becomes Demand Response Provider in Texas
- Excalibur Energy Becomes Preferred Supplier for Facilities Management Firm
- Product Warranty Covers Both Insulated Roof Panels, Solar PV
- Combining Solar with Ground Heat Pump Is Energy, Cost Efficient
- Current Clamps Measure Energy for Small Businesses