Clear One Health Plans Embraces Energy, Water Efficiency
Clear One Health Plans expects to save water and energy after adopting a series of building design elements at its Bend, Ore., headquarters.
Clear One’s building, which earned LEED Gold status, saves 30 percent in water its restrooms through efficient plumbing fixtures, according to a press release.
By using native landscaping, the building is saving 50 percent on irrigation water, as well.
In terms of energy, the building design integrates daylighting. For instance, 11-foot ceilings allow for deeper penetration of natural light – 75 percent of all spaces have natural light.
To save further on lighting, a computer-operated lighting system measures ambient light and adjusts fixtures to produce equal foot-candle readings throughout the structure. The building also uses energy efficient bulbs and fixtures.
Clean One also is using renewable energy for 35 percent of its energy needs.
During construction of the building, about 50 percent and 75 percent of construction waste in two different categories was diverted from landfills.
Over 30 percent recycled materials went into the building’s construction.
More and more firms are building their structures to LEED standards, some in order to qualify for incentives.
For instance, in exchange for adding renewable energy and building its warehouse to LEED standards, Chicago’s Testa Produce received a building site from the city for a dollar. The site was valued at $1.6 million.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight