Retrofit Saves TXU Energy 30-40% on Lighting Bill
TXU Energy expects to save 30-40 percent on its lighting bill after undergoing a lighting retrofit at its Dallas headquarters.
The energy retailer installed T5 and T8 fluorescent lighting, which should save 20-30 percent on the lighting load, said Michael Gutierrez, spokesman for TXU.
The installation of motion occupancy sensors should save an additional 10 percent, Gutierrez said.
By installing LED fixtures in the parking garage, the company expects to save about 58,000 kilowatt hours a year, he added.
TXU expects to save $25,000 a year as a result of lighting upgrades, he said.
The building, which recently earned LEED Silver certification, also received air temperature and humidity monitoring to provide information that better optimizes HVAC operation, he said.
TXU also has instituted an on-site recycling program that resulted in 46 tons of materials being recycled in 2008.
Retrofitting existing buildings is a popular way to maximize electrical efficiency.
For instance, by renovating its 30-year-old headquarters in Bethesda, Md., Marriott expects to save $700,000 a year, including all measures.
Of that total, Marriott expects to save $200,000 in electricity costs, primarily by switching from nighttime to daytime cleaning, as well as use of higher efficiency lighting options.
Motion sensors have been installed in all restrooms, telecom and electrical closets.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight