Supermarkets Roll Fuel-Efficient Truck Fleets
As an example, Meijer is taking delivery of the nation’s first fleet of U.S. EPA 2010 trucks that feature near-zero emissions, reports Supermarket News. The supermarket has purchased 75 Freightliner Cascadia trucks equipped with fuel-efficient DD13 engines from Daimler Trucks North America. The reduced-emission engines were developed by Detroit Diesel in collaboration with the Department of Energy 21st Century Truck Partnership Program.
The Cascadia fleet is expected to reduce CO2 emissions by 9,300 U.S. tons, and eliminate 525 U.S. tons of nitrogen oxides from the air. Meijer projects a 47 percent reduction in particulate matter, a 55 percent reduction in nitrous oxide and a 3 percent reduction in carbon dioxide emissions.
Winn-Dixie is addressing fleet efficiency by adding Xatanet fleet management applications to optimize its 450-truck delivery fleet that serves 515 stores in southeastern U.S. The system also will help the grocer reduce operating costs by leveraging fleet reporting capabilities.
Brookshire Grocery also has implemented the Xatanet fleet operations software platform to help improve fleet efficiency.
To urge drivers to reduce carbon-dioxide emissions, Wheels Inc., a fleet leasing firm, has launched its inaugural EcoWheels Green Driver Challenge, starting on Earth Day, April 22, and concluding on July 1, 2010.
The challenge will promote green driving practices such as reducing idling time, checking tire pressure and planning more efficient routes.
Participants can register at a special Website that will calculate how much carbon emissions they prevent for each of their pledges.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment