Supermarkets Roll Fuel-Efficient Truck Fleets
As an example, Meijer is taking delivery of the nation’s first fleet of U.S. EPA 2010 trucks that feature near-zero emissions, reports Supermarket News. The supermarket has purchased 75 Freightliner Cascadia trucks equipped with fuel-efficient DD13 engines from Daimler Trucks North America. The reduced-emission engines were developed by Detroit Diesel in collaboration with the Department of Energy 21st Century Truck Partnership Program.
The Cascadia fleet is expected to reduce CO2 emissions by 9,300 U.S. tons,Â and eliminateÂ 525 U.S. tons of nitrogen oxides from the air. Meijer projects a 47 percent reduction in particulate matter, a 55 percent reduction in nitrous oxide and a 3 percent reduction in carbon dioxide emissions.
Winn-Dixie is addressing fleet efficiency by adding Xatanet fleet management applications to optimize its 450-truck delivery fleet that serves 515 stores in southeastern U.S. The system also will help the grocer reduce operating costs by leveraging fleet reporting capabilities.
Brookshire Grocery alsoÂ has implemented the Xatanet fleet operations software platform to help improve fleet efficiency.
To urge drivers to reduce carbon-dioxide emissions, Wheels Inc., a fleet leasing firm, has launched its inaugural EcoWheels Green Driver Challenge, starting on Earth Day, April 22, and concluding on July 1, 2010.
The challenge will promote green driving practices such as reducing idling time, checking tire pressure and planning more efficient routes.
Participants can register at a special Website that will calculate how much carbon emissions theyÂ prevent for each of their pledges.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses