Envision Solar Targets Parking Lots for Solar Systems
Envision Solar claims to be the first company to develop solar systems aimed at millions of acres of parking spaces. The company has installed more than nine megawatts (MW) of solar arrays for commercial, residential, and public organizations.
The company, which is now a publicly-traded company as of this week (May 3), has installed solar parking arrays for companies such as McDonald’s, Dell, and Johnson & Johnson.
For example, the company designed and installed a Solar Grove — an array of pole-mounted, solar-paneled trees — for Dell last year at its corporate headquarters. The 110.62-kW system, consisting of 11 Solar Trees, produces approximately 131,000 kWh annually, uses 516 BP Solar photovoltaic modules, and provides shade for 56 parking spaces. The project also includes two Envision Solar CleanCharge solar-to-electric vehicle charging stations.
McDonald’s also installed a Solar Grove and a CleanCharge vehicle charging system for diners at its San Diego location. The Solar Trees provide shade for diners’ vehicles, while allowing the restaurant to offset some of its energy use through the grid-connected solar system.
Centocor, a Johnson & Johnson Co., installed a Solar Grove at its headquarters in Horsham, Pa. It consists of eight Solar Trees capable of generating 140,179 kWh of clean energy annually.
Other solar projects include those at Kyocera, UC San Diego campus, St. Mary’s Medical Center, Natomas Gateway Tower East, the city of Napa and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL).
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University’s Microgrid
- Pacific Power Names Three wattsmart Business Partners of the Year
- 2014 Better Than 2013 for Distributed Wind Turbines, But Far Below 2012
- Making Efficiency Attractive to Investors
- Hydrogen from Landfill Powers Forklifts at BMW Plant
- Big Energy Savings for Hoke, N.C., Schools
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts Unlock Deep Savings
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments