Fresh & Easy Undertakes LED Retrofit Project
Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market, the US subsidiary of Tesco plc, will have its medium temperature cases in its 159 stores retrofitted with LED lighting through a partnership of Nualight Ltd, a manufacturer of LED lighting solutions for retail, and Kysor/Warren, a manufacturer of refrigerated cases in North America.
All meat, dairy and fish cases will be upgraded to LED replacing the existing T5 Fluorescent canopy and undershelf lighting. Fresh & Easy currently uses LED lighting in external signs and freezer cases.
Nualight’s LED lightbars are installed in a number of international food chains, including Tesco plc, Switzerland’s Migros and Co-op chains and Rewe in Germany. Nualight says it is shipping in volume from its local assembly base in Michigan to major case manufacturers supplying retailers in North America.
“Our success retrofitting the Group’s Tesco stores internationally led to this opportunity, and this newest assignment provides a valuable springboard for our expansion into the US market,” said Nualight VP Bruce Schneider, who heads up US operations.
Retail stores are among the highest commercial users of energy with lighting and refrigeration accounting for 78 percent of all energy usage in supermarkets. LED fixtures allow energy savings of up to 60 percent, both from lighting and refrigeration energy, according to Nualight.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Bridgewater, MA, Gets $231,000 Efficiency Grant
- Biomass Group Studies Role in Clean Power Plan
- Rockleigh Borough Installing LEDs, Low Energy AC
- PHG to Build Big Gasification Plant for Sevier Solid Waste
- Energy Profile of Commercial Buildings Changing
- Smart Meter Market Surging
- Modular Data Centers Cut Construction Costs
- Failure to Build Energy Infrastructure Could Cost New England $5.4B