Fresh & Easy Undertakes LED Retrofit Project
Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market, the US subsidiary of Tesco plc, will have its medium temperature cases in its 159 stores retrofitted with LED lighting through a partnership of Nualight Ltd, a manufacturer of LED lighting solutions for retail, and Kysor/Warren, a manufacturer of refrigerated cases in North America.
All meat, dairy and fish cases will be upgraded to LED replacing the existing T5 Fluorescent canopy and undershelf lighting. Fresh & Easy currently uses LED lighting in external signs and freezer cases.
Nualight’s LED lightbars are installed in a number of international food chains, including Tesco plc, Switzerland’s Migros and Co-op chains and Rewe in Germany. Nualight says it is shipping in volume from its local assembly base in Michigan to major case manufacturers supplying retailers in North America.
“Our success retrofitting the Group’s Tesco stores internationally led to this opportunity, and this newest assignment provides a valuable springboard for our expansion into the US market,” said Nualight VP Bruce Schneider, who heads up US operations.
Retail stores are among the highest commercial users of energy with lighting and refrigeration accounting for 78 percent of all energy usage in supermarkets. LED fixtures allow energy savings of up to 60 percent, both from lighting and refrigeration energy, according to Nualight.
Energy Manager News
- ERC: Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending June 24, 2016
- FERC Rules Against Tri-State Fee on Local Renewable Power
- Marin Clean Energy to Reduce Rates and Expand Service Area in September
- Drama Aside, Tesla’s Acquisition of SolarCity Makes Sense
- SunPower Solar Technology Breaks 24% Energy Efficiency Mark
- U.S. Data Centers Increasing Energy Efficiency
- A New Role for Mats: Promoting Sustainability
- Palmco to Refund $4.5M to New Jersey Consumers for Deceptive Sale Practices