Green Tech Patents Dominate GM 2009 Filings
“Green automotive technologies are the building blocks for creating and improving alternative power plants and increasing fuel efficiency,” said James Malackowski, CEO of Ocean Tomo LLC. “GM has higher average quality and newer green technology and patents than the other 14 automakers combined.”
Among the patents was the development of a new catalyst material for the purification of exhaust from diesel or other lean-burning engines. Traditional catalysts use platinum – a precious metal subject to wide price variations – but GM says its researchers discovered the material perovskite can provide performance equal to platinum at a much lower cost.
Another new device uses a material called shape memory alloy (SMA), which changes shape when it is heated. GM researchers hope to use the material to build a recovery device that would convert waste heat from a vehicle’s engine into electricity to power auxiliary equipment, such as the radio or interior accent lighting.
Energy Manager News
- Feds Asked to Reverse Montana PSC Decision on Solar Charges
- Energy Retailer Crius Acquires Assets of Verengo
- Put Safety First in LED Installations
- Microsoft: Data Centers to Use 50% Renewables by 2018
- Solar Installation Dedicated in Brooklyn
- Duke Energy SC Customers Have Reaped $5M in Solar Rebates Since Last October
- BidEnergy Launches Its ‘Source-to-Pay’ Process for Energy in U.S. Market
- Garden State Residential, Commercial Customers Will Pay Less for Gas This Winter