Anheuser-Busch Adds Solar Array to NJ Brewery
Anheuser-Busch has installed a solar array on the roof of its Newark, N.J. brewery that will generate more than 523,000 kW hours of electricity annually. The array, consisting of more than 3,000 solar panels, covers 65,000 square feet, and at peak production will supply nearly five percent of the brewery’s electricity demand.
When combined with its solar array at its Fairfield, Calif. brewery, the company claims it is one of the largest users of solar power in the U.S. brewing industry.
Anheuser-Busch entered into an agreement with Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) to host the solar power plant at the Newark brewery. PSE&G will offer renewable energy certificates (RECs) to businesses or individuals to help offset their use of fossil fuel energy and greenhouse gas emissions.
Orion Energy Systems, which designed and installed the system, will operate, monitor and maintain the array.
The Newark brewery also uses a Bio-Energy Recovery System (or BERS), which has been in place for more than 15 years. The system turns the nutrients in wastewater into biogas that provides up to 15 percent of the fuel needed to power the facility’s boilers. Currently, 10 of Anheuser-Busch’s 12 U.S. breweries use BERS technology to help fuel their operations.
Anheuser-Busch also released its Global Citizenship Report that covers the environmental progress the company has made during 2008 and 2009.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland