Google, IES Partner on Efficient Design Tool
Google announced today it will partner with building performance analysis company Integrated Environmental Solutions (IES) in order to provide building performance and analysis tools to users of Googleâs SketchUp 3D modeling tool, according to a company press release.
The two companies have had a relationship for the past two years, during which IES provided a plug-in to the SketchUp platform which linked the four levels of VE analysis software to both the Free and Pro SketchUp platforms.
Integrating IESâ VE analysis software will permit SketchUp users to conduct performance analysis of design iterations across a range of areas such as energy, carbon, water, climate impact, solar and daylight at early design stages for low-energy sustainable buildings. Users will also be able to assess the economics of low/zero carbon technology and renewable energy use.
âIt might just be the catalyst to joining up environmental thinking between the architect and engineer,â said Ian Walker, head of Environmental Engineering at Architectsâ Broadway Malyan in the press release. âThe only successful way to approach sustainable design is through integration across the entire design process.â
Google also recently announced the release of a new PowerMeterAPI, which allows manufacturers of electrical appliances with built-in energy monitoring technology to incorporate their data with the Google PowerMeter, an energy use tool for homeowners and small businesses.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- General Mills: Weâll Invest $100M to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Oregon Correctional Institution Saves with LEDs
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending August 28
- Columbus Energy Challenge Falling Short
- Building on Alaskan Campus Gets LEED Certification
- BT Group Launches Division to Help Property Owners
- Price of Renewables Approaching Fossil Fuels, Nuclear
- The Use of Renewables in Mining Operations