Eastman Targets 20 Percent GHG Reduction
Eastman Chemical has released a new comprehensive review outlining its strategy to leverage the company’s expanding portfolio of sustainable practices and products as a primary driver of growth and innovation. The company also announced news sustainability goals, including annual 2.5 percent energy-efficiency improvements, and a 25 percent reduction in energy intensity and 20 percent reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) intensity over the next 10 years.
The review, “Our Sustainability Journey,” highlights recent accomplishments and establishes clear short- and mid-term goals to help the company evaluate its success across all dimensions of its sustainability program — economic growth, environmental stewardship, and social responsibility.
Environmental Leader recently reported that Eastman has joined the U.S. Department of Energy’s Save Energy Now initiative, requiring the company to develop energy intensity baselines, energy management plans and report their progress to DOE on an annual basis. The company has also reduced GHG emissions at its Longview, Tx. plant. For 2009, Eastman reduced energy intensity by approximately another 2.5 percent, with energy savings of 3 million MMBtu and over 275,000 fewer tons of equivalent emissions, according to the review.
From 1998 – 2008, the company reduced GHG intensity 25 percent, while decreasing energy intensity 35 percent. The company also reduced volatile organic compounds (VOC) emissions 34 percent from 2005 – 2008, according to the report.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment