CSL to Test Carbon Scrubbers on Ships
Canada Steamship Lines (CSL) has signed an agreement with ECOSPEC Marine Technology to develop and install a system to reduce the CO2, SO2 and NOX emissions from its ocean trading vessels on the Great Lakes, according to a company press release. The companies plan to install the first â€˜CSNOxâ€™ system on a CSL Great Lakes vessel later this year in order to validate and obtain certification of performance and efficiency of the system in a fresh water environment.
According to the press release, the system removes all three gasses through a single process. According to the Montreal Gazette, CSNOx technology within the CSL fleet, CSNOx is the only marine exhaust gas abatement process in the world that is capable of offsetting and net reduction in CO2 emission trails.
According to Carbon Positive, an independent verification of ECOSPECâ€™s claims is currently being conducted by the American Bureau of Shipping, with early results confirming a 75 per cent of CO2 emissions and a 98 per cent reduction in SO2 emissions. Testing is scheduled to be completed by the end of July, with certification coming within two months.
Last year, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) delivered draft rules for new engine and fuel standards for the largest ocean-bound ships to the White House for review, while a consortium of shipping industry entities is pursuing an end-goal of reducing operational fuel consumption by 15-25 percent. An Iranian tanker company is also making concrete promises to reduce its own emissions and fuel use, while all ships entering U.S. waters will soon need to comply with new regulations by the U.N.â€™s International Maritime Organization.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend