Casino Group Adds 20 MW to Solar Power Installations
Casino Group plans an additional 20 megawatts (MW) of high-efficiency photovoltaic panels for solar power installations on its properties in France. The agreement with SunPower, building on the 15-megawatt contract between the two companies last year, will enable the French retail chain to produce renewable electricity on under-utilized roof space and parking areas.
SunPower will supply Casino with its E19 Series solar panels, claiming a world record efficiency of 19 percent or greater. The modules feature larger, more powerful all-back contact solar cells that deliver three percent more surface area per cell, which boosts panel efficiency by reducing unutilized space, according to SunPower. Installations are expected to be completed by the end of 2011.
The panels also have an anti-reflective coating that allow for more diffuse off-angle light to be captured, generating more energy per rated watt than a conventional solar panel.
The combined 35 megawatt agreement will result in solar power systems at 18 of the company’s properties. In-store monitoring displays will provide customers and employees with information on how much solar power is being generated on site.
SunPower systems have been installed on facilities operated by the Bon Preu Esclat supermarket chain in Spain, and on multiple rooftops for U.S.-based retailers such as Target, Wal-Mart Stores, Macy’s and Lowe’s.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses