UCSD Saves $900,000 with Energy Dashboard
The University of California, San Diego (UC San Diego) has installed an energy dashboard to help the school improve the efficiency of their operations, reduce energy use, and combat climate change, according to a press release.
The dashboard provides updated energy information for the university’s facilities and equipment, helping the them to save $900,000 a year, reducing energy consumption by 19 million kilowatt hours, and reducing 9,600 metric tons of greenhouse gases.
Working with a San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) incentive program, the university used information provided by the energy dashboard to identify inefficiencies in their computer servers. The dashboard provides campus microgrid managers with data on energy use by buildings, floors within buildings and in some cases rooms on a floor.
As a result, UC San Diego replaced 514 older computer servers with 270 energy-efficient models. The project reduced energy consumption by 7.9 million kilowatt-hours, saving the university $680,000 annually, and prevents 2,600 metric tons of greenhouse gases from being released into the atmosphere each year.
In 2005, UC San Diego completed $60 million in energy-saving improvements that cut electricity consumption by 20 percent, saving the university more than $12 million annually. This year, the campus is using $73 million in utility incentives and low-interest bonds as part of a multi-year program to reduce energy consumption in 25 of its older buildings by a combined $6 million a year.
UCSD has also installed solar trees on campus to help reduce its electrical energy needs. Meanwhile, the University of California Merced campus was able to save $5 million annually by installing a (MW) solar power system, which provides two-thirds of the campus’ electricity on summer days and 20 percent of the campus’ annual electricity needs.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment