Mission Foods Transforms old GM Facility into LEED Certified Mfg Plant
Mission Foods has partnered with Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) to help the company reduce its energy use and carbon emissions. The company partnered with SoCalGas through its Energy Efficiency Calculated Incentive Program to build a new “green” plant in Panorama City.
The tortilla products manufacturer transformed a 200,000-sq.-ft. General Motors plant into a LEED Gold certified tortilla manufacturing plant that is expected to prevent more than 1,300 metric tons of carbon emissions annually.
Receiving design assistance from SoCalGas, as well as $45,000 in financial incentives to install preheat combustion air for corn and flour tortilla ovens and preheat cooking oil for fryers, the Panorama plant saves approximately 250,000 therms of natural gas per year.
“Working with SoCalGas has helped us to lower our manufacturing and energy costs,” says Lucy Gonzalez, VP Sustainability, Mission Foods. “We are committed to creating sustainable operations — not just lowering costs, but also reducing our carbon footprint.”
Other sustainable efforts include rooftop solar panels for generating some of its own electricity, heat recovery systems, and systems that minimize water use.
Mission Foods also has joined the Cool Planet Project, an energy efficiency and climate change mitigation program administered by The Climate Registry (The Registry) and SoCalGas. The project helps Mission Foods understand the connection between energy usage and GHG emissions. SoCalGas provides business customers that install significant energy efficiency projects with assistance in measuring their carbon footprint and emissions reductions through The Registry.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend