HSBC Saves $1M in Energy Costs
HSBC has reduced its energy costs by $1 million and energy use by 7,267,865 kWh by implementing a companywide initiative to increase IT efficiency across more than 300,000 PCs in 8,000 global offices, according to a case study (PDF) from 1E.
HSBC also recovered 201,885,139 hours of computing power and prevented 3,125,182 kg of CO2 emissions.
The initiative is part of HSBC’s overall strategy to reduce energy and CO2 emissions across its business, setting a target to manage at least 70 percent of the company’s global PC portfolio by the end of 2009.
HSBC, one of the world’s largest banking and financial services companies, achieved these savings by installing two 1E software applications — NightWatchman and Nomad. For example, by the end of 2009, NightWatchman had been deployed across 276,588 PCs and just over 300,000 deployments were completed by mid 2010. The software performed more than 9 million automatic shut downs on HSBC PCs on nights and weekends, which saved the company more than $1 million in energy costs.
The Nomad software automatically distributes software and patch updates across HSBC’s global portfolio of desktops and server computers from a single location, which eliminates the need for servers at every location.
Key findings of a 2009 PC Energy Report, commissioned by 1E and the Alliance to Save Energy, reveal that nearly half of U.S. employees who use a PC at work don’t shut down their computers at the end of the day, wasting $2.8 billion every year powering 108 million unused PCs.
1E also recently helped Ford Motor save $1.2 million and reduce its carbon dioxide emissions by 16,000 to 25,000 metric tons annually by using its NightWatchman software.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland