CertainTeed Plant Cuts Water Use by 35%
CertainTeed’s manufacturing facility in Kansas City, Kansas, has reduced its water use by more than 35 percent in 2009. The facility, which produces fiberglass insulation, made adjustments to spray systems to reuse water and to eliminate the need for city water.
The sprayed water is used to keep the rotary screens clean during the manufacturing process. Through installation of new equipment, controls and piping, the water is now captured, cleaned and re-circulated back into the spray system. The company said the new equipment costs were recouped in less than one year.
“This water conservation project is a perfect example of how working together to reduce our environmental impact can also improve our bottom line,” said Jeff Chevalier, process engineer for CertainTeed Insulation.
The plant also participates in parent company’s Saint-Gobain International Environment, Health and Safety Day, an annual event dedicated to environmental awareness, emergency preparedness, healthy living and workplace safety.
In addition, CertainTeed’s fiberglass insulation distribution facility in Berlin, New Jersey, teamed up this month with NJR Clean Energy Ventures for a rooftop solar system. The solar project will generate 870-kilowatts (kW) of electricity and eliminate 800 tons of CO2 annually. The solar system is expected to provide nearly 90 percent of the building’s electricity needs.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight