Sony Ericsson Elm Tops Mobile Phone Eco Rating
The Sony Ericsson Elm phone is part of Sony Ericsson’s GreenHeart range of mobile phones and accessories, aimed at greening the manufacturer’s entire portfolio. Sony Ericsson is committed to reducing CO2 emissions by 20 percent and greenhouse emissions by 15 percent from its mobile phone’s full product lifecycle by 2015.
In a recent version of Greenpeace’s “Guide to Greener Electronics,” Sony/Ericsson ranks near the top, just behind Nokia.
The O2 Eco Rating evaluated 65 mobile phones from six manufacturers — Sony Ericsson, Nokia, HTC, LG, Samsung and Palm — based on their environmental impact. Five of the top 10 mobile phones in the rating were designed by Sony Ericsson. [Editor’s note: There are some problems accessing the rating outside the UK.]
The green ranking, launched in partnership with sustainability advisers Forum for the Future, gives phones a rating of zero to five based on their environmental footprint, including ecological impact of raw materials, manufacturing process, packaging, energy efficiency, and how easy they are to reuse or recycle, reports The Guardian.
Seven phones tied in second place with a score of 4.0: the Nokia 1800, Nokia 6700, Nokia C7, Samsung GT-S8500, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini pro and Sony Ericsson Zylo, according the article.
Notably missing from the ranking is Apple. Apple refused to allow its iPhones to be included in the ranking, noting that the company provides its environmental reporting online, reports The Guardian.
RIM, which produces the Blackberry, has pledged to join the green ranking next year.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage: It’s About the Software
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- India Launches Net-Zero Building Portal
- Companies Cooperating on Waste-to-Energy Projects
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- Xcel Asks for $90M ‘Switching Fee’ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform