Wal-Mart Names New SVP Sustainability
Andrea Thomas has been named Wal-Mart’s new senior vice president of Sustainability.
Matt Kistler, current SVP of Sustainability, will be transitioning into a new role as SVP of Marketing on the Walmart U.S. team. Thomas currently serves as SVP, Global Merchandising Center, for the Home, Hardlines and Entertainment businesses.
Thomas joined Wal-Mart in 2007 and, according to Leslie Dach, Wal-Mart’s executive vice president of Corporate Affairs, has been a committed driver of sustainability within the Walmart private label business.
In her last position, Thomas was heavily involved in supply chain, product development and brand marketing – all of which are key elements of Wal-Mart’s sustainability push.
“During the next several weeks Matt and Andrea will transition into their new roles,” says Dach. “For a time, Matt and Andrea’s tenures in sustainability will overlap.”
Thomas has been involved in brand management and innovation for over 15 years. She had a brief stint as VP of Innovation at The Hershey Company before joining Wal-Mart. Prior to Hershey, she was at Frito Lay for 8 years – her last position being VP of Innovation.
With Wal-Mart’s increasing push into sustainability and the green space, Thomas will have her hands full. Over the last three years, Kistler’s team worked on Wal-Mart’s China Sustainability Summit, the launch of the Sustainability Index and Sustainability Consortium, and the company’s greenhouse gas commitment earlier this year – see Wal-Mart’s greenhouse gas protocol guidance – to name just some initiatives.
Energy Manager News
- Smart Windows are a Smart Idea
- Behind the Meter Podcast: The Telecommunications Industry Addresses Energy Challenges
- Ambitious Goals for The Boulder Valley SD
- Philips, Cisco, Alliander Bringing Smart Lighting to Amsterdam
- TCAP to Negotiate Five-Year Electric Rates for Sherman, Texas
- Quality Power, Not Just Power, Should be the Goal
- Siemens Unveils Microgrid-as-a-Service Platform
- 18 Buildings Going Solar in D.C.