MassMutual Rolls Renewable Energy Initiative with Solar Power System
Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Co. (MassMutual) has completed its $2.4 million solar project at its headquarters in Springfield, Mass. The thermal panels will provide 50 percent of the campus’ hot water needs while the photovoltaic system will provide 111 kilowatt hours (kWh) of electricity.
The entire system, which includes 528 photovoltaic and 96 thermal solar panels, was installed on 40,000 square foot of MassMutual’s 9.6 acres of roof on its main campus. The panels are expected to reduceÂ the insurance company’sÂ carbon emissions by 1,830 metric tons of CO2 over the expected 20-year+ life of the system.
MassMutual also expects the system to reduce the company’s operating costs and fuel use.
In addition to the solar power system, the 5-month project included the installation of a white roof to reduce roof temperatures and internal air conditioning expenses, and to increase the operating efficiency of the solar panels.
The company also recycled and donated materials from the project. As an example, more than 2,000 boards of foam insulation removed from the company’s roof were donated to ReStore, a non-profit home improvement center that sells leftover or unwanted building materials from construction projects at a discounted price.
MassMutual also reused more than 250 tons of stone ballast removed from the roof for drainage and landscaping around the main campus.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses