Clif Bar Boasts Sustainable HQ
Clif Bar & Company has unveiled its new energy-efficient headquarters in Emeryville, California, reports TransWorld Business. The company says it is installing the largest “smart” solar array in North America, which should supply nearly all of the building’s electricity needs.
The 115,000-square-foot former valve manufacturing plant is also one of the first buildings in the state to follow the 2008 California Building Energy Efficiency Standards. The company is also pushing for a LEED Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, according to Trans World.
The maker of all-natural and organic sports nutrition food and healthy snacks also added solar thermal panels on the roof to provide 70 percent of the heat needed for hot water, reports San Francisco Chronicle. Other features include energy conservation efforts in its R & D kitchen, energy-efficient office equipment, a 40-foot bouldering wall, and four atrium gardens.
The project also used a host of repurposed materials from shipping container wood to blue jeans, reports San Francisco Chronicle. Artwork is made from repurposed bikes, kayaks, snowboards and surfboards.
Other perks include a new childcare center, music room, theater, wellness center, on-site bike parking and an organic breakfast and lunch restaurant, which is employee-operated and sources organic ingredients from regional farms.
Clif Bar joined the Business for Innovative Climate and Energy Policy (BICEP) coalition in 2009, which promotes energy efficiency and renewable energy as the least expensive way forward for addressing climate change and transitioning to a clean energy economy.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage: It’s About the Software
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- India Launches Net-Zero Building Portal
- Companies Cooperating on Waste-to-Energy Projects
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- Xcel Asks for $90M ‘Switching Fee’ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform