ASQ Releases Social Responsibility Guidelines
ASQ has released the new ISO 26000 international standard on social responsibility (SR), which provides guidance on implementing social responsibility for both private and public sector organizations.
The standard focuses on seven key aspects of social responsibility: organizational governance, community involvement and development, environment, fair operating practices, consumer issues, labor practices and human rights.
While ASQ says it supports all seven issues, it initially is concentrating on the areas that will deliver the greatest value to businesses, including organizational governance, environment, and community involvement and development.
“This new international standard is the collaborative work of individuals dedicated to social responsibility,” said Paul Borawski, executive director and chief strategic officer, ASQ, in a statement. “There could not be a more timely opportunity for organizations to join in the SR movement and make their voices heard about the issue of social responsibility. One way is to use this standard to guide them on their SR program implementation.”
ASQ plans to offer a new ISO 26000 guidebook in November/December 2010 and a white paper, available in November, developed in collaboration with Manpower, which focuses on the role of the quality professional in SR efforts.
The organization also created the Socially Responsible Organization (SRO) initiative that is helping to define what it means to be a socially responsible organization.
Chris Knop recently shared his views with EL on how ISO 26000 will impact the hotel industry.
Energy Manager News
- LEED v4 is Ready to Take Center Stage
- Honeywell Upgrading Energy, Water Systems at The University of Mount Olive
- Three Boston Area Organizations Jointly Buying Solar Energy
- Insider ‘Outs’ Misleading Strategy Behind Florida’s Solar Amendment 1
- Mississippi Watchdog: Kemper Syngas Operations Could Raise Costs by 288%
- Waste-to-Energy Shows Growth in New Jersey, Maine and Florida
- Zen Ecosystems Introduces Zen HQ
- Flywheel Platform Introduced by GE