ASQ Releases Social Responsibility Guidelines
ASQ has released the new ISO 26000 international standard on social responsibility (SR), which provides guidance on implementing social responsibility for both private and public sector organizations.
The standard focuses on seven key aspects of social responsibility: organizational governance, community involvement and development, environment, fair operating practices, consumer issues, labor practices and human rights.
While ASQ says it supports all seven issues, it initially is concentrating on the areas that will deliver the greatest value to businesses, including organizational governance, environment, and community involvement and development.
“This new international standard is the collaborative work of individuals dedicated to social responsibility,” said Paul Borawski, executive director and chief strategic officer, ASQ, in a statement. “There could not be a more timely opportunity for organizations to join in the SR movement and make their voices heard about the issue of social responsibility. One way is to use this standard to guide them on their SR program implementation.”
ASQ plans to offer a new ISO 26000 guidebook in November/December 2010 and a white paper, available in November, developed in collaboration with Manpower, which focuses on the role of the quality professional in SR efforts.
The organization also created the Socially Responsible Organization (SRO) initiative that is helping to define what it means to be a socially responsible organization.
Chris Knop recently shared his views with EL on how ISO 26000 will impact the hotel industry.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- Johnson Controls, Hitachi Appliances Launch AC JV
- Walmart Saving Money While Driving Efficiency
- Solutions to Help Reach Building Energy Management Goals
- Advanced Fans Cut Datacenter Energy Requirements
- Renew Financial Acquires FL PACE-Lender EcoCity Partners
- Solar Canopies in Maryland, California
- Increased Demand for EVs Driving Global Battery Management System Market