Facebook Boosts ‘Green’ Credibility
Facebook has launched a new “green” page as an environmental resource for individuals and organizations that details what the company is doing in the environmental space, along with providing environmental news from around the Web. At the same time, the company has joined the Alliance to Save Energy and the Digital Energy Solutions Campaign (DESC).
Earlier this year, Facebook engineers developed a programming language, HipHop for PHP, which allowed its servers to do the same amount of work with half the number of servers. Facebook has open sourced the programming language so that other companies can achieve the same energy-saving benefits. The green page notes that Drupal.org, Wikipedia and others are testing their own versions of HipHop.
The Alliance-Facebook partnership includes the donation to the Alliance of $500,000-worth of advertising on the Facebook platform, collaboration on energy efficiency technology, participation in joint events and promotion of the Alliance’s new consumer website, LivingEfficiently.org.
Through its partnership with DESC, Facebook will share best practices and smart use of information and communications technology provided by the organization through the new Facebook Green page.
These efforts may help boost Facebook’s green reputation after a well-publicized spat with Greenpeace about the social network’s new data center.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight