Qantas Picks New Carbon Offset Provider
Customer purchases to the Qantas and Jetstar offset programs will now support a range of projects to reduce carbon emissions. The carbon offsets created through these projects are sourced by Climate Friendly and meet the requirements of the Australian Government’s new National Carbon Offset Standard. The introduction of NCOS prompted Qantas to go to market for new providers.
“We launched our carbon offset program in 2007 to give our customers the choice of flying carbon neutral by offsetting their share of flight emissions,” Qantas Chief Risk Officer, Rob Kella, said. “Since then all contributions received have gone towards purchasing carbon offsets generated by accredited abatement projects. The program has offset over 770,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions to date.
The offsets will come from a number of projects in developing countries, including a wind-farm development in China, ‘run of river’ hydro-power projects in Taiwan and Indonesia and a fuel switching project in Brazil.
Energy Manager News
- Clauses to Consider in Green Leases
- Bahama Yacht Club to Generate Power from Solid Waste
- Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative
- Energy Storage Helps Hotel Reduce Demand Charges by 10%
- EU Smart Campus Pilot Achieves 30% Energy Savings
- Uline to Operate 130 GenDrive Fuel Cell Units from Plug Power
- Los Angeles Shopping Center Installs 504 kW Solar
- SustainCo Wins $575,000 Contract for Energy Management Controls