Qantas Picks New Carbon Offset Provider
Customer purchases to the Qantas and Jetstar offset programs will now support a range of projects to reduce carbon emissions. The carbon offsets created through these projects are sourced by Climate Friendly and meet the requirements of the Australian Government’s new National Carbon Offset Standard. The introduction of NCOS prompted Qantas to go to market for new providers.
“We launched our carbon offset program in 2007 to give our customers the choice of flying carbon neutral by offsetting their share of flight emissions,” Qantas Chief Risk Officer, Rob Kella, said. “Since then all contributions received have gone towards purchasing carbon offsets generated by accredited abatement projects. The program has offset over 770,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions to date.
The offsets will come from a number of projects in developing countries, including a wind-farm development in China, ‘run of river’ hydro-power projects in Taiwan and Indonesia and a fuel switching project in Brazil.
Energy Manager News
- New Energy Efficiency Law Could be Boon for HVAC Industry
- Black & Veatch World Headquarters Microgrid
- Caterpillar, First Solar Join to Develop Microgrids
- Hospital Reduces Energy 12%
- Cree LEDs Light 42-Campus Toledo Public School District
- Soraa Offers LED with Wireless Control
- States Use Energy Resource Permanent Funds for Various Purposes
- One Man’s Experience with Engaging Building Operators